Wednesday 27 January 2016

Love? | By Harrison


This post might be coming to you all a bit premature, valentines isn't for another few weeks yet! But I thought I'd talk about a subject I have never spoken about before... Love. 

It's a weird one for me really. I don't really know if I have ever been in love. Relationships come and go, and In that moment there is attraction, but I don't feel I have ever had that feeling of butterflies, wanting to see them all the time and not being able to get them out of my head... Look on the bright side, at least I have never been heartbroken. 

I'm not against relationships, I am just the biggest commitment-phobe going. I don't generally like to let people in or let people get too close. Therefore, I have always found myself pushing people away. Please assure me I'm not the only one? 

Recently I have been seeing someone. It's being going on since mid November. It's been rocky (all on my part) because I have been unsure as to how I feel etc. But overall, It's been good. We have a slight issue. So my parents know I'm gay which is all fine, but I have never introduced them to someone and I don't want to introduce them until things are solid and official. Then He lives with his grandparents who don't actually know that he's gay. So the difficulty we face is that we don't have a house to be able to go to, it always means meeting in a restaurant or just sitting in our cars. Now before you say anything, it's not just about having a place to go to have sex, it's more about just being able to sit, relax and watch Netflix... and have the odd Chill! 
 It's just a difficult situation to be in, but it requires effort to make things work.

If I was to give anyone one bit of advice it would be: In a relationship there are 2 people, both of those people need to make the effort. As soon as one person is making more effort than the other, it's time to call it a day. 
I really don't think it should all be down to one person to make the plans, to come and see the other one or even be the first one to always text and call. Both parties need to put in equal effort to show they both care. 
Also, don't be afraid to 'have the conversation'. Even if it is early days yet, have the conversation about where you stand. Establish boundaries and establish the others' intentions. It's good to make sure you're both on the same page and wanting the same thing. Otherwise, it's a waste of time. 

Love, ey? It's a strange one. 

| Harrison | 

No comments:

Post a Comment