Sunday 18 October 2015

I've Been Making, Apple Crumble.

It's that time again, time for another Sunday post. 

This time, it's all about food! Recently I have been really inspired to try new things, try things I don't usually do and this time, it's about trying to cook. 
My Mum would argue that i'm an awful cook but I would argue that statement to be false. I think I could be a good cook, had I had time and organisation. 

So today I have been slaving over a hot oven all morning to make an apple crumble... with a twist. 
For this I made the crumble using one recipe and then the filling using a different one. It turned out okay though (Thank god). 

The Crumble


To make this crumble, you will need:
1 cup of almonds
1 and 1/2 cup of jumbo oats
1/3 cup of maple syrup 
2 tablespoons of cinnamon
2 tablespoons of coconut oil 

Method:
Preheat oven at 180c / Gas mark 4.
Ground the almonds so they still have a crunch.
Combine the cinnamon, coconut oil and maple syrup in a pan on low heat until all smooth.
Put oats and almonds in bowl and then add liquid.
Lay onto a baking tray and pop in the oven.
Take it out after around 20 mins or when golden brown. 
Leave to cool and break up accordingly. 

If any of you are a fan of Lily Pebbles, then you will recognise this recipe. It tastes SOOOOO good! This can be used as a granola for breakfast or as I'm using it, as a crumble for desert. 

The Filling


For the filling you will need: 
400g of cooking apples
50g of sugar
1 tablespoon of water
A sprinkle of cinnamon (optional) 

This filling is so simple its unreal. All you need to do is peel and core the apples, put into a pan with the sugar and water and heat for around 5 mins or until soft. You then place into an oven proof dish, pop the crumble topping on and cook for 20 mins. 

Tip: 
400g is around 3 cooking apples, I didn't think it was enough so ended up using 5. All I would say, if you're going to use 5 apples, do a little more crumble. 

Serve with custard and there you have it. A perfect apple crumble. 



I have absolutely loved trying this out. I really enjoy cooking when it goes well and this really has gone swimmingly. 
I'm going to continue to develop my non-existing cooking skills and hopefully become an avid chef. 
I look forward to eating this later after our Shepard's Pie (For the record, I'm not cooking that)

See you mid-week for an update.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

| Harrison | 

No comments:

Post a Comment