Sunday 25 October 2015

Homemade Pasta Sauce.


For today's post I thought I would talk you through a recipe I have just discovered and a recipe I am currently in love with. My homemade pasta sauce. 
This dish is so simple, quick and easy, yet tastes like a lot of effort has gone into it. The most effort that needs to be made is chopping everything up. It really is as simple as that. 
So let's get started... 

You Will Need


3 cloves of garlic
1 red onion 
(Have you ever realised that red onions aren't actually red.. just a thought)
1 pepper (of any colour)
3 mushrooms
1 tin of chopped tomatoes 
chilli sauce (optional) 

Start by chopping up all your ingredients to make sure you're prepared. Put a very small dash of oil in wok or deep frying pan, cook off the onions and mushrooms then crush in the garlic and add the tomatoes. I tend to leave the pepper to slightly later in the process, you don't want it getting too soggy. 
Let this simmer for a bit to let the tomato juices reduce. 


At this stage you can add your chilli sauce if you wish. I add a little bit just to take that definite tomato sauce taste away. 
Once the sauce is simmering away, start boiling the water for your pasta.... The sauce hasn't got long left. 


You really can use any pasta you like. I just used up whatever was in the cupboards at the time. It just so happened that we had this colourful looking stuff, but really, a spaghetti would suffice. 
Once your pasta has boiled this next stage is up to you, I have tried both and both taste equally as good. 
Option 1: Put the pasta into a bowl and pour the sauce on top, then serve.
Option 2: Add the pasta to the sauce and cover, then serve. 
On this occasion, I did the latter and added the pasta to the sauce to give it all a coating. But as I said, completely up to you. 


Warm through, add your peppers and there you have it. A spicy, tomato-ey, lovely pasta sauce made by your own hands. Serve up in a bowl, sprinkle with cheese and enjoy! I had this meal during the week with some garlic bread and it was heaven. Such great comfort food for the winter, quick, easy and actually tastes fresh.

I have absolutely loved putting this blog post together and really making this recipe my own. I look forward to experimenting with cooking a bit more and documenting it on here. 

Here's to a new week and I'll see you mid-week for another update! 

| Harrison | 

No comments:

Post a Comment